Become a Member
The membership of the Maldivian Red Crescent is open to all individuals and legal entities without any discrimination irrespective of nationality, citizenship, ethnic origin, gender, disability, religious beliefs, language, social background, political opinions and any other similar criteria. Individuals and entities shall adhere to the Maldivian Red Crescent’s principles and objectives and may become members of the Maldivian Red Crescent.
The Maldivian Red Crescent's membership comprises of three categories:
Active Member : An individual who fulfils the requirements of membership and pays a membership fee and registration fee as stipulated in Article 4.8 of MRC Statutes. Any individual holding any part time or full time staff positions of the Maldivian Red Crescent cannot obtain Active Membership or stand for election of any governance positions
Subscribing Member : The Maldivian Red Crescent, by decision of the Governing Board of the Society, and a Unit by decision of the Unit Board may accept subscribing members which can be an individual or legal entity. A subscribing member does not have the rights or obligations pertaining to an Active Member including voting rights and the right to stand for election.
Honorary Member : Honorary membership shall only be awarded to individuals who have paid exceptional service to the Maldivian Red Crescent with an outstanding reputation and the membership shall be approved by the Governing Board.
Responsibilities of Members
a) Respect, promote and work towards achieving the objectives of the Maldivian Red Crescent;
b) Act in accordance with the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement as stipulated in Article 1.2 of these Statutes, refrain from acts contradicting the Maldivian Red Crescent’s objectives in the activities organized by or partaken by the Maldivian Red Crescent;
c) Accept and adhere to the rules and regulations of the Maldivian Red Crescent, including Statutes, Rules of Procedure and Code of Conduct; and
d) Ensure payment of their membership fees, if applicable.
Rights of Members
- All members have the right to express their opinion in the meetings, in accordance with the procedural direction of the chairperson and enquire about the activities of the Maldivian Red Crescent within the confines of the Maldivian Red Crescent’s Statutes and the Rules of Procedure;
- All Active Members have the right to vote at the Unit level and at higher levels if elected, in the meetings and in any of the Maldivian Red Crescent’s elections as stipulated in the Maldivian Red Crescent’s Rules of Procedure, subject to Article 4.2, its sub-articles and Article 4.9 of these Statutes;
- All Active Members have the right to stand for election to the governing bodies subject to Article 8.3, and its sub-articles; and
- All members have the right to take part in the activities of the Maldivian Red Crescent as per these Statutes and Rules of Procedure.
- All members have the right to report a serious incidence of misconduct, a violation of the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement or a serious threat or harm to the interest of the Maldivian Red Crescent. Any member who reports such an incidence must be ensured the same protection as stipulated in Article 10.1 of this statutes.